I wrote two new Shaders today. One is for a screen that's not in the game yet, which the Shader will be a fundamental part of. As the Shader is rather complex I wanted to write it first to see if what I wanted to do was possible. It seems to work, so now I need to write the code for that screen.
The second is much simpler. It does edge detection on the layer I added yesterday, to highlight the boundary of the region indicated. The Shader code is very straightforward and it took much less time than either of the other Shaders I've done for this game.
Thursday, 22 March 2012
Catching up today after spending much of yesterday performing my civic duty, and spent some time adding a new graphical layer that slots between existing layers in just the right way. I had to re-work a few things to get it right, but the result not only looks better and helps a lot in the gameplay but is a little more efficient to draw.
Wednesday, 21 March 2012
Tuesday, 20 March 2012
I moved some of my data structures over to linked lists today, in preparation for adding more functionality and gameplay. I was once fairly sceptical of their applicability in Flash but I've been persuaded around by the performance work I was doing a few months ago. In particular the overhead of accessing array (Vector or Array types) members is non-trivial, comparable to other function calls. I may do some performance tests to confirm this but I'm pretty sure this is an optimal solution for what I'm doing.
Monday, 19 March 2012
In this post I discussed how to handle collisions in general, at least when one of the objects is a ball for collision purposes. My intention was to follow it up with an example but I never got around to it. Well now I have, and it shows how to turn the theory in that post into practice.