Monday, 21 May 2012

New shader, new screenshots

Not got much done this week for family reasons, but the things I did do are rather visual so easy to show off. First I changed the width and height of the game, to 640 x 480. This is not as that will be the final size (though having it non-square does make the gameplay a little more interesting), but more so I could track down any dependencies on the screen size that shouldn't be there. I want to be able to change two numbers and everything updates.

Monday, 14 May 2012

Angle between two 3D vectors

This is something I noticed the other day. Someone had posted a method for finding the angle between two vectors in three dimensions, using the dot product and inverse cosine. But there is better approach, i.e. one that is generally more efficient, is certainly more accurate for some vectors, and can be more informative.

Friday, 11 May 2012

Another Pixel Bender bug

For those interested I've created a test app to demonstrate a Pixel Bender bug (or at least a very strange behaviour) I encountered this week:


http://wonderfl.net/c/dLHH


And started a thread on Adobe's forums about it:


http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1003124

Two more screenshots

I took a bit of a break this week for the bank holiday, but otherwise have kept working on the game. The front end is in, though not working, and I've been adding code to handle starting and restarting the game without it falling over or running out of memory.


Mostly though I've been working on graphics, trying to fix a glitch in the way the gradient shaded circles are drawn. This was a subtle glitch in game but rather more obvious in the front end so it was time to fix it.


I tried creating two new shaders for it but that didn't work as expected, because of some oddity in how Pixel Bender shaders handle alpha in Flash. So I decided used a different approach relying on an existing shader and some BitmapData API calls, especially copyPixels.


It was a subtle glitch, probably only visible to me as I knew it was there, but it's now hopefully fixed. The rendering code becomes a little more complex but it's not code that runs every frame or few frames; at most it runs a few times a game.




Friday, 4 May 2012

Shader bug update

I made another shader today. Nothing that interesting as it's a variation on one I'd done before, but as I added it I uncommented out a line in the game which I must have disabled while trying to fix the shader bug two weeks ago. And the bug re-appeared. Thankfully as I knew it was a shader bug and knew the last change I'd done it was easy to undo, but it was surprising as I thought I'd fixed it in the shader code.

Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Two more screenshots

Two more screenshots, showing two different levels, in the much improved inverted colour scheme. I still haven't decided how to use this, so am alternating between it and the normal, light lines on a dark background, mode to make sure it works as well and get some idea of how to fit it in. Currently they are the second and fourth levels; early levels which accounts for the simple colour schemes.